[delphizip] Re: Windows 64 bit, file names > 256 characters.

  • From: James Turner <james.d.h.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 17:53:31 +0100

Under Windows, MAX_PATH = 260 : that's the maximum length of an absolute
file name (excluding UNC file names).

The limit of 256 characters is set by the Zip format since the length of
the file name is stored in the header as a single byte.

As previously noted, NTFS permits longer file names and, for reasons
known only to Microsoft, a silly prefix is required.

Getting around the 256 character limit of the zip format is tricky (and
should not be expected) however, it should be possible to deal with
longer filenames if they are relative to a specified directory.

I hope this clears up what is and isn't possible.

-- James Turner