[delphizip] Re: Windows 64 bit, file names > 256 characters.

  • From: James Turner <james.d.h.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 12:45:44 +0100

As has been noted, I was wrong to say the 256 character filename limit
is part of the zip format - I was getting confused with another file
format. The maximum length imposed by the zip format is 64K characters.

I apologise for any confusion I have caused.

As to the solution - would setting the rootdir to "\\?\C:\" (or whatever
drive letter is required) work?

If the DLLs set a limit of 256 characters, could that limit be increased
to 1024 characters? That should be large enough to cope without grabbing
so much memory that it would be a problem on modern computers.

-- James Turner.