[delphizip] Re: Windows 64 bit, file names > 256 characters.

  • From: Patrick Kolla-ten Venne <patrick.kolla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 09:32:58 +0200

Strings in UTF8 will be the same length or longer. Never less length.
Upgrading Delphi won't change a thing.
As it has been said before, the issue is the zip header.
James Turner wrote that the length field in the zip header has a size of
one byte. Meaning you just can't store any longer names in there. Here,
I am confused now. I've written my own native zip structure reader code
(because for just listing contents and checking file size & crc32,
DelZip would be too much overhead), and my structure has FileNameLength
as a Word (and that code works, so I doubt that's a bug ;) ). Which
would allow longer filenames!

So in my opinion, the limitation has to be elsewhere.

Anyway, workarounds could be:

If the user never uses the .zip himself, create an additional file with
metadata. You don't pass wildcards but the full list of files to
TZipMaster, right? So just add each single one with a different,
shorter, name (hash of name plus random number without path or something
like that) and have one additional file that relates this to real names,
which you would use in extraction.