[delphizip] Re: Windows 64 bit, file names > 256 characters.

  • From: RPeters <rpeters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 18:26:28 +1000

On 2/09/2011 5:49 PM, Patrick Kolla-ten Venne wrote:
>> It is not the zip format barrier (32 bits) that is being hit, it is the
>> standard ms-dos MAX_PATH issue.
>> Russell
> Could you explain where exactly?
>
> As said earlier in the discussion, \\?\ as a prefix would allow access
> to files with length>  MAX_PATH, wouldn't it?

Yes in theory \\?\ prefix allows up to 32k although each section of
path/name must be less than 252 characters.
The problem is that software must be written to handle it and, from
memory, its memory allocation requirements - it has been some time since
I looked at it and at that decided it was not worth the bother although
with drives getting larger and people getting more verbose eventually I
will need to revisit it.
Russell