[ddots-l] Re: when should one record mono or stereo?

  • From: "Raymond" <musicalman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:36:25 -0400

I don't think I'm a pro but people say I am. I've only been messing with stereo and stuff for a few months to save up disc space. What I think is to not record in stereo unless you have instruments that sound like they're not coming from the center of the speakers. Then, recording in monno will push them over to the center and the whole stereo spectrum will sound like everything is crammed in one space. If you don't hear anything on the left or right, all recording in stereo will do is consume disc space. For instruments like strings and orchestral work, you might want to record in stereo. But in a solo, you really don't have to. I usually do mono whatever it is to keep my empty disc space at a fairly high level, even though I don't know how high it is although I think it's pretty good. You can try both, and see what sounds better. Since my Sonar thing isn't going to work until I get my problem fixed, I can't help much, and I almost never do anything in stereo unless I really need to.
Raymond

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rod" <roddj12@xxxxxxxxxxx>