[ddots-l] when should one record mono or stereo?

  • From: "Rod" <roddj12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 03:07:49 -0400

    Can the pros chime in on this one, please?
As some of you know, I am not a pro, but I have been fortunate to mix some
decent mixes, however, there is a lot of room for improvement.
Here is my dilemma below:

I have the tendency to record all of my tracts in stereo, and mix most of
them this way. My question is this: when should I record a tract stereo, or
mono? I know that stereo sounds better, that's why I recorded as such: but
is this a good practice? I sometimes end up converting my kick into mono,
anyway.
 Yet, what are some tracts or instruments that you can say are generally
should be recorded
as a mono signal? Drums, bass, etc?
I always record live guitar as mono, and vocals also.
I use the motif for tracking.

Rod