[ddots-l] Re: question about monitoring

  • From: "Tim Burgess" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:07:29 -0000

Hi Omar,

OK, here's the deal:

1 - Monitoring via the interface (known as hardware monitoring) means that
you hear a copy of the signal that's coming into the interface from a mic,
guitar, or whatever, without it being processed by your software.  The
advantage of this is that there's no appreciable delay between what you hear
yourself playing/singing and what comes back at you from the speakers/cans.
The disadvantage is that you won't hear any FX processing that your DAW
software is adding to the sound (a lot of singers like to ha a bit of reverb
while they're recording and guitarists often don't find it easy to play
their part "dry");

2 - Software monitoring (like input echo in Sonar) allows you to hear the
treated signal, so the guitarist can hear that monster noise from Amplitube
and the singer can float away into the space created by a reverb plug-in.
This can sometimes help the creative process, but very often introduces a
small lag (called latency).  On a fast machine with a high-quality interface
and good drivers it should be possible to reduce this delay to a point where
nobody notices or, even if you can hear it, it's so small that nobody cares.
However, if you can't reduce it to this level, for whatever reason, it can
make tracking very difficult as it starts to affect your timing.

So, there's no right or wrong (as usual), it's just a case of finding what's
appropriate for the instrument/artist you're dealing with and trying to tune
your software to provide the necessary.  Hope that helps.

Best wishes.

Tim Burgess
Raised Bar Ltd
Phone:  +44 (0)1827 719822