[ddots-l] question about monitoring

  • From: "Omar Binno" <omarbinno@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 02:49:11 -0500

Okay, this is a very rudimentary question. Until now, my studio setup has
included using a mixer and an audio interface with sonar. However, I'm now
switching to just using an audio interface as a stand-alone, without a mixer. I
will be using the RME Fireface 800. The question now arises: should I do my
input monitoring through sonar, or through the audio interface. My knowledge is
rather foggy as to exactly what monitoring is used for. So first, what is
monitoring, and second, when using an audio interface without a mixer, is it
preferable to do the monitoring through the interface, or through sonar.

Thank you for any and all input.

Omar Binno

AIM: LOD1116
Skype: obinno1