[ddots-l] Re: iPhone ring tones

  • From: "Mark Dew" <jmkeybd1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 08:49:45 -0500

Yes, I do it  all the time for the iphone.
You must have itunes on your, computer if you wish to install a ringtone on your i-phone.
Here are the instructions how to create and install a ringtone.
   I sent these instructions to the group several months ago.
If you can't get it done, I can do it for you.

Here is how to create a ring tome for the i-phone.
First, you'll need a sound editor such as Sonar, gold-wave or Audacity.
Second, you'll need i-tunes installed on your computer.
Third, of course, you'll need the i-phone it's self.
1. create an audio file you wish to make as a ring tone.
You folks know how to do that, just use your favorite sound editor.
The file can not be more than 40 seconds in length.
Otherwise, the i-phone will not except it as a ring tone.
You can use an existing file as your ring tone.
Using Sonar or other editor, find where you want the ring tone to start.
Trim or delete the audio up to this point.
Play or move to the point where the ring tone will stop.
Trimor delete from this point to the end of the file.
Remember, no more than 40 seconds is allowed.
Edit the file to your likeing.
Normalize the file, to 0 or minus 3 db.
Save the file as a mp3.
Now you have your mp3, that needs to be converted to a i-phone ring tone.
There are two more stages, the file needs to go through before it will be useful as a ring tone.
First, it has to be converted to a m4a audio file.
This is where the i-tune program comes in.
If you have never used it before, you need to download it and check it out.
2. converting a mp3 to a m4a.
Run the i-tunes program.
Tab around and find the following.
Songs radio button and check it.
Then tab to the list box.
Once you are on the list box, press the alt key and arrow down to add file to library.
Press enter.
Type in the location and name of  the file and press enter.
This will load the file in to the list box.
Note, the same thing can be done, by loacating the file on your computer and pressing the alt key and arrow down to open with.
Press enter on open with, and Select I-tunes to open the file.
The I-tunes program will load.
It will play the file, press the space bar to stop playback.
Tab arround to make sure your on the list box.
Use the up down arrow keys to find the file.
Guess what! it is still a mp3 file.
It nees to be converted to a m4a file.
Once you have found the file and it is selected, press shift-f10.
This brings up the context menu. The app-key will do the same.
Arrow down to, create aac version and press enter.
A m4a file will be created and it will show up in the list box.
It will have the same file name, as the original.
One is a mp3 and the other is a m4a file.
However, it doesn't show which is which.
We need to grab the m4a file.
Becuase we don't know which is which, we'll take them both.
Select both files, hold shift and arrow down to the next file.
Press control c, this will copy both files in to the clip board.
Later you will return here and find these 2 files and delete them.
They are no longer needed.
To delete the file, select the file and press the delete key.
Don't do this, until your ring tone is in your i-phone and working.
Now close the I-tunes program.
Find the location to where you want to paste the two files.
You know how to do that.
Once the files have been pasted in to a folder, use the up down arrow keys to read the files and there extensions.
You will see one file as a mp3 and the other as a m4a.
Select the m4a file and press the f2 key.
We need to rename the extension from a m4a to a m4r.
Now you have a i-phone, ring tone.
How do we get it in to the I-Phone?
The I-phone needs to be configured to except a ring tone.
Connect your I-phone to your computer.
Wait for your computer to recenize the I-phone.
When your computer finds the I-phone the I-tunes program will load.
On the I-tunes program, tab arround to you find your I-phone and press enter.
This brings up another screen, where items can be selected or unselected.
Tab until you find tones, and press the spacebar to check it.
While you are in there, check other items such as music apps or other items you wish your phone to except.
Tab to ok and press enter.
I-tunes will alert you that you have made changes to your I-phone settings.
Select yes or ok to except.
You only have to do this once, until later on you wish to make changes to your phone settings.
Close I-tunes, and disconnect your phone from the computer.
Now lets get that, ring tone m4r file in to your i-phone.
Go to the folder, where the m4r file is located.
Select it an copy it in to the clipboard.
Now open up your c drive.
Look for documents and settings and press. enter.
Now look for your name, or something like that, and press enter.
Next look for my documents and press enter.
Now look for my music and press enter.
Now we are looking for the i-tunes folder, press enter.
Arrow down to, i-tune media and press enter.
Here you will find the folder automatically ad to i-tunes and press enter.
Once you are in the automatically add to I-tunes folder, paste the m4r ring tone you have created.
Close this screen.
Now connect your I-phone to your computer.
Wait and your i-phone will sink to the I-tunes program and it will load.
The I-tune program will now send the file to your i-phone as a ring tone.
If your i-phone doesn't sink, tab to your i-phone and press enter.
Tab to sink and press enter.
You probably know how to find your new ring-tone on your phone.
On the i-phone it'self, on the home screen double tap settings.
locate sounds and double tap.
Locate the ring tone that is currently being used and double tap on it.
Here you should find your new ring tone.
Hope all of this helps.
I apologize for any spelling errors, spelling is not one of my strong points.
Mark

Mark
My WEBSITE
http://www.markdew.com