[ddots-l] Re: Sonar and Sibelius

  • From: "Nicaise D" <nicaise@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 12:26:08 -0700

Caglar,

You can do as both Kevin and Chris suggested by entering your entire music
into Sibelius directly using PC keyboard or your MIDI synth; or you can
first record in Sonar then export into Sib and have a good print out (one or
more staves).
If you enter things directly into Sib you have direct control on how you
notate your music and how it prints out, and the process is straight
forward, that is if you know how to do it. But first you will need to
familiarize yourself with how to enter notation or at the very least how to
edit notation in Sibelius because you will need it regardless of what you
do. (consult sibelius speaking documentation)
The advantage of first recording in Sonar and then exporting into Sibelius
is that your performance is captured and you worry about notation later.
Depending on how complicated and long your music or parts are, this way is
sometimes the way to go especially for those of us who are not music
notation technicians. In other words, we can fix / edit it once it is on the
chart but we can't do the whole thing from scratch. By the time my work is
done I almost always end up combining all three methods.   If you want to go
from Sonar here is what you do:
1. Record the part in Sonar (just perform) but be sure not to use the
sustain pedal because this recording is destined for Sibelius.
2. Quantize your work. Make sure notes duration and legatos are just like
the way you want them.
3. Using event filter separate your left-hand notes by cutting and pasting
them on a separate track. Now you have two tracks one for right hand and the
other for left hand.
4. Save the file and export it into a temporary Sib score.
5. Create a new Sib  blank score with a piano grand staff in it. Copy and
paste the right hand notes from your temporary Sib score on the A staff of
your new Sib score and copy the left hand notes onto the B staff of your new
Sib score.

Things should pretty much look fantastic from that point on. It sounds like
a lot of steps but believe me it goes very fast and puts you back in
control.

I hope that helps.

Nicki D

  _____