[ddots-l] Re: Sonar 8.3 or 8.5?

  • From: Bryan Smart <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 11:30:14 -0500

8.5 is definitely better for audio people than 8.3. Besides the additional
64-bit combination effects that come with Sonar 8.5, AudioSnap is far more
stable than it used to be.

The key to having a good experience with CakeTalking is to be sure to use only
the software version combinations that have been tested. Due to slight
differences with how different versions of Jaws behave, and, in some cases,
bugs that CakeTalking must work around, CakeTalking is highly sensitive to
changes in the Jaws version, in particular. I'm not saying that it isn't
possible to use CakeTalking 8.5 with Jaws 10 on Windows 7, but, if you do, you
may find gotchas where CakeTalking is sluggish, where certain commands are slow
or don't work at all, or where incorrect information is reported.

For CakeTalking 8.3 and 8.5 users, Jaws 11 is suggested on all versions of
Windows. Again, you could use Jaws versions as old as 10 on Windows 7, Jaws 8
on Vista, and Jaws 7.1 on XP, but you really should use 11. Jaws 11 has been
extensively tested with CT, and is known to work well (that is, we account for
all of the qwerks in Jaws 11 :)).

Bryan