[ddots-l] Re: Sibelius: New Ownership

  • From: "Kevin L. Gibbs" <kevjazz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:16:47 -0800

David and I attended a meeting at the recently concluded NAMM show
hosted by Sibelius.  At the meeting, David spoke to the Sibelius
developers to make sure that he was included in the Beta cycle for
Sibelius 5.  I presume that this is for the express purpose of
developing Sibelius Speaking for Sibelius 5.
        David's declining to develop Sibelius Speaking for Sibelius 4
was the direct result of timing issues with the various development
cycles of the products for which he scripts.  It was never intended to
signal his unwillingness or inability to support future versions of
Sibelius through his Sibelius Speaking product.  I have every confidence
that as soon as the Sibelius 5 Beta cycle begins, David will commence
development of Sibelius Speaking for Sibelius 5.
        As I've explained, our current situations allows us to create
both scores and parts in Sibelius 3 which Sibelius 4 users can import.
Those Sibelius 4 users can, in turn, export their work back to a
Sibelius 3 format file which we can work with.  While this is
inconvenient, it provided David a breathing space in which he could
catch up with Sonar 5 and now Sonar 6.  During that time, no further
work was going on with Sibelius.  Additionally, because of the solution
I have explained, David felt sure that his user base was still being
served adequately, a view which I share.
        I hope this explains the state of development and the prospects
for the future to everyone's satisfaction.
Kevin