[ddots-l] Re: Mastering a finished project.

  • From: Chris Smart <chris_s@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:59:12 -0500

Even though their Ozone mastering plugin isn't all that accessible, at least not the DirectX version when I tried it, the manufacturer iZotope wrote a great mastering guide, available from their Web site as a .pdf document. Lots of great tips in there.
Mastering: http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/OzoneMasteringGuide.PDF
Dithering: http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/OzoneDitheringGuide.pdf ...

hope that helps some. A lot of it is applicable to whatever software/hardware you're using.

Chris

At 01:38 PM 11/15/2005, you wrote:
Mastering is so subjective, you really need to try and try again. After a while, you'll develop common starting places, and settings that you'll use for different projects. Best of luck,
Kurt,
Ps, always try your mixes on more than one set of speakers, IE your car or home stereo, as well as your monitors. Lots of folks get something sounding right on their primary system, and take it to other people only to have it sounding muddy or boxy on other systems. Try to master as flat as possible so your music will sound good on all systems.