[ddots-l] Re: Dimension vs hypersonic

  • From: "Bryan Smart" <BSmart@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 11:45:10 -0500

Phil, the TTS-1 is terrible in terms of sound quality. Imagine the
instruments in an early 90's Yamaha PSR keyboard or old Roland Sound Canvas,
and you have a good idea of what to expect from the TTS-1. Cakewalk should
be ashamed of bundling the TTS-1 with Sonar. The TTS-1 is everything bad
about the early sample-based keyboards. For most of the instruments, you get
just a few samples that are pitched up and down as you play across the
keyboard. The synth doesn't really respond to how hard you play the
keyboard, other than to adjust the volume of the sound from soft to loud.
The instrument voices do not have any type of real effects with them
(autopanner with rhodes, distortion with guitars, phasers with clavs, chorus
with FM pianos, etc). It does not even come remotely close to the type of
sounds that you'd get out of a modern synthesizer like a Yamaha Motif or
Roland Fantom. Either Dimension or HS2 will sound extremely superior to the
TTS-1 with out a doubt. Choosing Dimension or HS2 is up to your preference,
but either will be a superior choice over TTS-1. Dimension focuses on some
large sample-based sounds, and HS2 focuses on behaving like a hardware
module. The TTS-1 also works like a hardware-based module, it just acts like
one from 15 years ago. I'm not kidding about the 15 years part. The Alesis
QS6 that I had back in 1996 would eat TTS-1 for lunch, and there is no way
that I'd use a dated sounding QS6 today.

Bryan