[softwarelist] SparkFS and (application) directories in tars

  • From: Frank de Bruijn <davidpilling-sub@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 10:33:02 +0200 (Custom)

Hi,

Is there a known problem with SparkFS and (application) directories in
tar files?

I sometimes copy a 'full save' from NetSurf (an application directory)
to a tar and when I go back to it later I find most of the names of the
files inside the directory have been changed to the name of that
directory.

Take a look at http://aconet.org/tmp/mess.zip

The tar 'mess' inside that zip has five directories, called !progs,
!progs1, !progs2, !progs3 and !progs4. Out of the 370 files inside those
directories only a handful still have the correct name. I'm certain they
were fine immediately after I copied them, because I started checking
these actions after I noticed this weirdness for the first time.

It doesn't always happen, but I have been unable to discern a pattern.
The number of files per directory makes no difference and neither does
the number of directories in the tar.

The tar normally doesn't get zipped, by the way. This one is to ease
downloading.

This is with SparkFS 1.43 on an Iyonix (RISC OS 5.18) and a Pi (5.19
and 5.21).

Any idea what could be causing it?

Regards,
Frank