[softwarelist] Re: Quercus, PDF problems

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 20:10:16 +0200

In message <4f2eaf4dearkp@xxxxxxxxx>
          Richard Partridge <rkp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <7eb4a22e4f.fjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jeremy Roberts
> <fjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Pls excuse my endless ignorance... I don't follow how your advice
>> "Generate PostScript under RISC OS ensuring that ALL fonts are
>> embedded" applies to the PostScript generation in the first place.
>
> This is a bit sneaky, I think. As supplied, !Printers will substitute
> some RISC OS font names with equivalent Postscript names when
> printing to Postscript. The Acorn fonts will not then be embedded
> when you make a PDF, the assumption being that the printer will have
> the fonts already.

Which is, of course, a true assumption because the fonts that the PS
driver maps by default are those that are guaranteed to be present in
any conforming interpreter.

> The application !FontPrint, which you should find in the same
> directory as !Printers, controls which fonts this applies to; they're
> listed in its display. You just just select them all via the menu,
> and delete them, leaving an empty window.

I would not recommend that method for general use. It can be a good
thing in very specific cases (preparing documents for lulu.com is one
of them or sending documents to printers that explicitly require ALL
fonts to be embedded, even the standard PS fonts) but it can lead to a
signficant loss of quality, so should be avoided unless absolutely
necessary.

Direct PDF export in ArtWorks 2 has an option "Embed even standard
fonts", but it is off by default.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner          MW Software          martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx