[softwarelist] Re: OvPro and PNG

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:02:17 +0000

In message <4f82312e81dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

On 17 Mar, dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Ovation Pro for RISC OS v6.06

I have a number of PNG files I want to put into frames within an OvPro
document, It will not do it.

Window pops up with:
"Inserted file is of type PNG not text.
Are you sure you want to proceed?"

Why will it not do what I want?
The OvPro TransFSI filter is seen and active.

CFSI has been seen by the filer during boot up.

As I needed to complete the document this evening, I've had to convert
them all to another graphic file type. Bummer!

Why?
Dave S

Continuing...
A copy of OvPro running under VRPC will load a PNG into a frame.
However Win OvPro will not, presentinng the same message as above.

The general answer is that to load PNG files you need to have a filter for PNG installed.

On Windows that means the filter pack installer has to have been run. There is a registry variable which is set up to point to the appropriate filter. I can tell you the name if you really want to know.

On RISC OS, it is a bit more complicated. In that the TransFSI filter can be edited to support different file types and the copy of ChangeFSI it calls might support different file types.

I would not have guessed that ChangeFSI supported PNG, but obviously if it works on VRPC later versions of ChangeFSI must do so.

There has to be a system variable pointing at the filter for PNG files, F12

*show ffg*

will show it.

I think it comes down to looking at the !Boot and other config files in TransFSI and checking that they set things up for PNG.

Perhaps a quick fix would be to copy !TransFSI from VRPC to your RISC OS computer.