[softwarelist] Re: Loading pictures into OPro

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:55:17 +0100

In message <67bf66b54f.tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> writes

 The original Sprite file was                  256K
 The sprite-converted-to PNG file is            43K

 The OPro document loaded with the PNG file is:     493K
 The OPro document loaded with the sprite file is:  341K

This bears out my original statement that the best way of assembling
document copies in OPro is by loading sprites and, for preference,

If you get the ChangeFSI settings right then you should be able to get the sprite you set off with back - i.e. no memory overhead. However I've always found it tricky to get the ChangeFSI settings right - from memory I think it tends to convert to whatever the current screen mode is.

The "Transloaders" are not applets. They only need to be (in RISC OS terminology) "seen" i.e. have their !Boot file executed. As has been discussed previously, putting them in your Applets folder will do little harm.

Transloaders were invented by Computer Concepts and are sort of mini-applications/tasks. When I did OP, I made things simpler by writing a small program that does all the RISC OS task stuff and calls a command line program to do the conversion. So if you have any command line image conversion tools that would do a better job than ChangeFSI, it is simple to convert them into transloaders - look at how TransFSI calls up ChangeFSI.