[softwarelist] Re: Converting documents to Quark

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:14:53 +0200

In message <OF458E0DF3.3B973C05-ON80257467.003BC75D-80257467.003C42D4@
Research.Quantel>
          Andy.Ling@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On 13 Jun, David Pilling <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I'm considering writing some software to help, if I do that I want to
>> make the software useful for the users of Ovation Pro.

> Something like this might help :-

> http://www.iwriteiam.nl/QX.html

> Although it is a bit old and probably wont help for anything other
> than Quark

Also, it would be completely mad to try and *write* that format when
Quark has a perfectly well documented text based DDL format that was
created for precisely the purpose of interoperability. The only merit
in reverse engineering the binary format is in being able to *read*
Quark binary files.

>> I can load the documents into Ovation Pro, the question is what format
>> to save them out in?

> XML springs to mind. It might be worth looking at this :-
> http://tinyurl.com/3gvemu

> It looks like Quark could import XML and this may be useful
> for other situations.

XML is not a file format, it is just an underlying structure for
defining file formats. So, writing a converter that creates QXML
files, the XML based Quark file format, would still only be useful for
one particular situation, namely converting to Quark.

Martin