[softwarelist] Re: Converting documents to Quark

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 21:33:41 +0100

In message <Marcel-1.53-0613192817-1cbZSTv@xxxxxxxxxx>, Anthony Hilton <ajh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

I would have expected PDF to be the one which would best preserve layout and
fonts, and I would expect Quark can import PDF. Why have you rejected that
option?

In one sense PDF is 100% perfect, the problem is that it lacks understanding, for example it doesn't know about styles.

My next thought would be PS - can Quark import PostScript?

PS and PDF are similar enough.

Is it possible to save all the text from Impression in a single operation?
Even if it resulted in multiple files combining them into one would be quite
simple.

Paul Beverley used to maintain that one of the best features about Impression was that the folder/directory document format allowed easy extraction of all text. These days of course he maintains that MS Word is a good thing ;-)

If you (David) are writing anything for OPro I would appreciate any
improvement you can make to the Save as RTF option.

Yes...