[cst_2014_board] Re: coach follow up and state qual

  • From: "Andy and Heidi Mechtenberg" <mechtenberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cst_2014_board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 19:44:35 -0600

Congratulations Blake!  That's awesome.  Perhaps enough boys that age will
be able to field good relay teams as well!

Yes thanks Carol for taking that conversation on - on the spot.  As we all
should remember, sometimes there are things happening before or behind the
scenes that we are not aware of that lead up to the "issue".  Not that the
abrupt manner was appropriate (curse words or not - really?), but I
understand the frustration from the coach if this had been mentioned several
times.

Andy and I were talking tonight, and one definite FAST cultural behavior is
to watch the races from the sidelines.  I also saw Rob and his assistant
coaches from Paragon doing the same thing - and this is prevalent at high
school meets.  While this is a huge improvement from Heather's wanderings
last year, for Collindale culture, there could be one coach (trading off)
near the blocks to give a pep talk to kids before their races.  This might
be important for kids near a qualification time, or for those kiddos not
remembering the order of strokes in IM or medley relays.

One of them could also be helping the little kids down to the end of the
pool during relays - or delegate (and train) the Jr. Coaches to do this.
The coaches must also must teach the first 3 little kids to get out of the
pool during relays, but the last to stay in the pool until the full race is
complete.  I would hate to be disqualified at City or State because kids
linger in the pool (that happened to my daughter at State - they never did
that again!).  It's not just with our team - I've seen it with all the other
teams too.  And it's just good sportsmanship to stay in the pool until the
race is finished.

I'm sure you'll also touch on the issue of kids advocating for themselves,
but not being heard.  It could be hard to remember the request, but perhaps
some method for jotting these things down to remember later?

Good luck everyone tomorrow!  I'll be thinking of you as we hammer out our
end-of-fiscal-year bill paying and billing!

-Heidi