[CTS] Re: Old DOS Programs on XP Home

  • From: "Charles R. Buchanan" <crbgfblab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 13:59:37 -0700

The theory is understood, but I need more details. :-)  Seeing that the
temp setup files are written to the first partition in ALL cases, that
will be drive c: Now maybe there's a way to install XP without it
writing to disk. <shrug>

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 11:47:02 -0700, Vernon Balbert <vbalbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> had
this to say:

VB> You don't need to install an OS on the first partition.  It just needs
VB> to be large enough to hold the boot program.  XP has its own boot loader
VB> which can fit on a tiny partition.  The actual OS's go on larger
VB> partitions.  Doing this is one way to manage a variety of different OS's
VB> and they never actually touch the boot partition.  This way when an OS
VB> takes out the partition due to catastrophic failure you can still boot
VB> to the other systems.
VB>
VB> Vern

Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage - SP

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm