[CTS] Old DOS Programs on XP Home

  • From: "Owens, Jack K." <Jack.Owens@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 05:37:11 -0700

Does anyone know of a solution to a problem that I am having on XP Home.
The system is my Dad's which was just upgraded from 98_SE to XP Home.
He likes to play the Wolfenstine DOS based games.  When the system was
first upgraded the system had no sound, but the DOS games played via the PC
speaker. After fighting with about a dozen different drivers for a
SiS7012/CM'97 integrated sound card/chip and not getting any sound (even though
XP seemed happy when you looked at the sound devices via the hardware manager)
he went and bought a Creative Labs sound card.  Now windows XP has sound, but
the DOS based games error with "NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal
instruction" type error.  Any help or web sites would be greatly appreciated.

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm