[CTS] Re: Moving On !

  • From: cuffy10@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 13:16:33 -0800

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 15:27:30 -0500, "Owens, Jack K. (Mission Systems)"
<Jack.Owens@xxxxxxx> said:
dollars depending on the vender and model.  There was a post that came
in after I started this reply that warned against buying HDs from eBay.
I have to agree that buying a used or new drive from eBay is a crap
shoot.  With the price of HDs, you should really think about buying a
new>

Let me try to esplane...........
eBay lists a 60GB Maxtor
Min bid $12.00
S&H plus Insur adds $12.00
You bid the minimum bid knowing you'll never get a 60GB drive for $12.oo

Week later you receive notification that you are the winner.
WOW......... you won for $12.00
Your PayPal account sends the guy $24.00 (still not bad for a 60GB
drive)
The drive arrives.
You install.
Supwise......... it's DEAD
You email seller.
He says no problem........ return for exchange.
You return it for about $6.00 in S,H,&Ins
Your total investment to this point is $30.00
Second drive arrives and it too is dead. As a matter of fact it's the
same drive that I returned to that same seller several days ago.
second verse, same as the first
You email the seller......... no problem, return it.
You don't want to play anymore ????
This time you want your money back.
Fine with the seller so you return the second drive for another $6.00.
Investment at this point is $36.00
Your refund is $12.00 or what you paid for the drive. The remaining
$24.00 you have sent is your overhead for S,H,Ins
Happy camper time. You got your money back and he has the two bad
drives. He'll soon be out of biz selling bad drives, eh wot ?
Let's look at the egonomics.
He has bad drive
Junk
Posts on eBay
Sells for minimum bid of $12.00 + $12.00 S&H
He ships it via the flat rate envelope from the USPS for $3.85, neglects
to insure it since he knows it's junk.
Now you want your money back ?
He gets the drive back and you get $12.00
Out of the other $12.00 S&H he has paid out $3.85 to ship the drive.
He has the dead drive back to recycle at the next auction, a profit of
$8.15 and you're shopping for a HDD.
Yep, we got him over the barrel now......... he can't keep shipping bad
drives and stay in business !
WANNA BET ?

  cuffy10@xxxxxxxxxxx

                          wherever you are