[CTS] Re: Imaging a Computer

  • From: "Charles R. Buchanan" <daphatbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 05:58:41 -0800

The biggest problem for me is the SATA support. I noticed when I booted
with Norton Search and Rescue (I know, FIRST mistake, but come on, it
only cost a dime! <grin>) it only saw the cd drives and the RAM disk it
created! :-(  I'd hate to think that I would have to do a slipstream
operation just to use their product in a recovery. :-O

I haven't installed the new acronis TI 7.0 yet. Might do that later on
and see how it works. Well, off to Food4Less and Starbucks! :-)

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 08:45:32 -0500, Hal Brown <hal.brown@xxxxxxxx> took time to
say the following:

(^_^)
(^_^)I've used a number of imagingapplications, and Ghost was not my favorite
by a long shot. It was notreliable when restoring the image. I now use
TrueImage from Acronis. Idon't know about the newer versions. They don't sound
so good to me. Iuse ver. 8.
(^_^)
(^_^)Basically, they work the same way. You make a disk, CD or floppy, bootfrom
the disk, and follow the prompts to image your entire drive (C:drive). You can
put that image anywhere except the drive you areimaging. I put it on another
partition, or an external HD. I have neverhad any luck burning straight to CD
or DVD from any imaging software.
(^_^)
(^_^)Once you have the image made, you can burn it to a DVD/CD (I doubt youwill
be able to use a CD anymore).
(^_^)
(^_^)To restore your system *exactly* the way it was, simply boot from thesame
disk you made to make the image and follow the prompts to restore.This is not a
command line application, so its really just a matter ofclicking.
(^_^)
(^_^)I can image my 8GB C: drive in less than 10 minutes. Restoring is aboutthe
same.
(^_^)
(^_^)They claim you can do this now from within Windows, but again, Iwouldn't
rely on that. Imaging a system that is in use is asking fortrouble in my
opinion. Anyway, if you can't take 10 minutes to backupyour entire system,
you're too busy.
(^_^)
(^_^)I've pooched my system a number of times, and it is great to have itclean
and running in just a few minutes, just the way you left it. Orif you lose your
HD, get a virus, or anything that screws things up,you're up and running
quickly.
(^_^)
(^_^)I hope this helps.
(^_^)
(^_^)Hal
(^_^)
(^_^)On 2/10/2007 8:14 AM, Ray Roney wrote:
(^_^)> Idont know if I asked about this before or not, but here goes anyways:
(^_^)>
(^_^)> I know Norton Ghost allows you to image a PC, then essentially
re-loadyour computer from scratch in almost 1/10th of the time (in my
caseanyways).
(^_^)>
(^_^)> The only thing is: I've used GHOST to reload the OS with Work, butwould
like to learn how to do it for my home PC & my notebook.
(^_^)>
(^_^)> Any help is appreciated, as always. :)
(^_^)>
(^_^)> -- Ray --
(^_^)>
(^_^)>
(^_^)>
(^_^)>
(^_^)------------------------------------------------------------
(^_^)Don't pick lemons.
(^_^)> See all the new2007 cars at Yahoo!Autos.
(^_^)-- Hal Brown email: hal.brown@xxxxxxxx

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels

 ** YOUR HELP IS URGENTLY NEEDED **
DONATE to Hurricane Katrina victims: http://www.redcross.org/
DONATE Housing (Spare room, shelter) http://www.hurricanehousing.org/

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm