[citw150]

  • From: "Jennifer Slack" <slackj2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:16:12 -0500

"There is nothing more frightening than active ignorance."
-Goethe
I found censorship to be an important issue in regards to the internet.
Even though it is much harder to inflict censorship on the internet I
still think it is an important issue.  For me I am in an awkward
position when it comes to censorship.  Being a mother I want to feel
comfortable with my daughter's use of the internet but I am against the
idea of censorship. Basically I have a problem with the way that the
internet is used for pornography.  When my daughter starts to actually
surf the internet I don't want her to go looking up some innocent topic
and have a page full of porn sites load up.  Does this make me a
hypocrite? I don't believe in banned books but I am all for banning or
at least policing the availability of pornography.  What it really comes
down to is that I don't believe in banned books because I want to be the
one that says what my child can and cannot read, and the internet should
be the same way.  With the vast amount of sites on the WWW, this is
quite a daunting task. Some tools are available to help, such as filters
like the parental control on your television it they control what sites
are appropriate and what are not. One of the articles I found while
reading up this was about how filters are blocking access to
'kid-friendly' sites.
I found a lot on these topics but below are the two sites I found most
informative.

http://www2.epic.org/reports/filter-report.html

http://www.booksatoz.com/censorship/

Every way to smile forget....