[citw150] CITW 150 Internet Hoaxes

  • From: "Jennifer Slack" <slackj2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:36:50 -0500

The internet hoax I found was Envelope Stuffing. It of course is not
just and internet spread hoax but I believe it has probably become more
prevalent with something like the WWW to spread it. Basically you see an
ad that claims you can make $1 to $5 per envelope and that all you need
to do is pay $29.95 or whatever it may be and you will receive a package
and begin earning your money. Apparently this package isn't much and
says that you need to place and ad asking for $1 for the receipt of
information on a product and then when you receive the $1 you send the
information.
I have received snail mail about this sort of thing and I'm glad that I
always assumed it was too good to be true. The funny part about reading
up on this hoax is that at the bottom of the page there is a link to a
similar style scam. It looks like it involves stocks or something but
still looks like a scam.
http://www.mazu.com/scams/envelopest.html

Every way to smile forget....
Jennifer Slack