[citw150] CITW 150 L6 Q6

  • From: Bruce Davis <dvsbruce8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 09:09:09 -0800 (PST)

Hello Everyone,

  I went to Wikipedia, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TELNET) and learned that
Telnet is short for Teletype Network and is a protocol used over the internet
or a LAN. Telnet connects a user?s computer to a server and can allow the user
to run commands on the server from their desktop. From what I can see, most
public Telnets revolve around games and chat.

  According to the article in Wikipedia, there are many security risks with the
use of Telnets for a variety of reasons. The article also recommended Telnets
not be used anywhere security is important, such as the internet.

  I joined the Vortex BBS (http://vortx.darktech.org/index.html) and it
reminded me of the old DOS window. After I joined I had to wait for a
verification email but no problems after that. For those who enjoy chat and
bulletin boards I feel there are much better applications than Telnet, at least
the one I joined.

  Regards, Bruce Davis