[citw150] CITW 150, L6, Q6

  • From: Cindy Farley <farleyc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Listserv <citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 16:13:55 -0700 (PDT)

You are able to log on to a computer remotely through telnet.  What I learned?
Well, I could see the use for Telnet for Computer professionals, but you would
have to be really "Techie" to use this, I think.

  I went to the Library of Congreass site telnet://140.147.254.3 and it worked
like a DOS site.  I entered number 10 on the site menu and read about LOCIS
which is a search and catalog assistance, and then went on to describe it as an
information retrieval system.
  I looked at the definition of Telnet through the MS Windows XP's Telnet site
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/telnet_commands.mspx?mfr=true.
  That was nothing more than a dictionary description.  I then went to the
Webopedia site http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/T/Telnet.htm.  I found this one a
little more interactive and informative.  There were links to keywords within
the description that opened a new window for the description to that link, and
within that description ther were even more links to follow. There were other
words that had a double line under them that a pop-up description would show
when you put the mouse pointer over the word. I thought the Webopedia site was
much better than Microsofts.

Cindy Farley
  farleyc2@xxxxxxxxx
  "Wise sayings often fall on barren ground; but a kind word is never thrown
away."
Author:Sir Arthur Helps

Blab-away for as little as 1¢/min. Make  PC-to-Phone Calls using Yahoo!
Messenger with Voice.