[citw150] Re: CITW 150 L3 Q5 - File Sharing

  • From: Evelyn Sitterson <silverwitch46@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 08:52:52 -0800 (PST)

        Getting music for free is not a great idea as it does take money away
from the 'little guys' who are trying to make it in the big world of music.
However, using a site that allows you to download music for a nominal fee helps
to insure that the 'little guys' still get something for their efforts without
having to pay the high cost of CDs that may have songs on it that you don't
really want or find out you don't like once you have bought it.

  Sites like Yahoo! Music is one such site.  They charge you a nominal fee
either per month or yearly and you can download specific songs and create your
own music library that contains only the music you like.  This is great as I
own a lot of CDs that only have a few songs on them that I really like.  You
can check it out at http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/

Jet <justinabram@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:   You might take into account that the
famous, millionaire musicians are
definately the exceptions. Most musicians are regional and local.
They're driving conversion vans and selling merch so they can eat.
File sharing helps them by getting them heard by a broader, and
potentially worldwide audience. However, it hurts them in a way that
a drop in royalties doesn't hurt a band like Metallica. CD sales mean
real money to the small indie labels and bands in a variety of
specialized genres.
If you're looking for a preview; sound bytes are available on
amazon.com, and most bands mantain a MySpace, or have samples
available on their websites. All to make filesharing unnecessary.
Plus, the way radio is run these days, the music between commercials
isn't much more than more commercials for the CD, at least, that's the
view from the top. Hence all the major labels still getting in
trouble for payola.
Independent and used record stores are fantastic for lower prices.
Even Best Buy is usually pretty reasonable. I dont ever pay more than
14.99 for a cd.

And I can't say I don't grab stuff off the internet, especially if
something is leaked before the release date... but I make a consious
effort to pick up that cd when it does come out.
-Justin Abram

On 2/15/06, Tyler Rademacher wrote:
> I believe that yeah it's not really fair to the artists who make their money
> by producing the music and having people download it for free, but it's also
> not fair that they charge so much for a cd no matter how good or bad, or how
> many or few of songs it has. If you look at most artists or pretty much any
> artist, how many of them live in a small house? Or don't drive a very
> expensive car? The artists make alot more money than most people anyways
> and it will continue to be that way.
>
> Eric W wrote:
>
> Peer-to-Peer File Sharing
>
> This is like the big music programs like "Napster" and "WinMX" Where you can
> download music files for free from other users of these programs. I believe
> this is wrong. You are basically stealing music from the bands tha t are
> putting this music out. But at the same time I think it should be able to be
> done, because lets say I am thinking about buying a CD but I am not sure
> yet. I think downloading them for "previewing" purposes is fine as long as
> you delete them. Also I think it can be good for new artists to get their
> music out there for people to hear. But just remember just because it is out
> there I dont think you should just be able to download a CD for free, burn
> it onto a CD - RW and then never pay for anything. If you are going to
> download I think the only way to us these programs fairly is to delete them
> within a day or so of downloading them. I think this like I said before will
> make it so you can preview m usic and hear new artists but not just steal
> there songs without paying them anything. Also like ITunes programs works
> where you pay 99 cents for each song which I think is also very fair because
> then you dont have to buy a whole CD when you like 2 songs on it but at the
> same time you are giving the artists there share from producing that song.
>
> http://pediatrics.about.com/b/a/025279.htm
> This website talks about parents that are surprised about the lawsuits that
> are being put in the courts about music sharing. It also talks about how it
> is illegal.
>

> Eric Wohlfert
>
> "If you're gonna get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I
> guess I'll just have to stop doing stupid things." - Homer Simpson
> ________________________________
> Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews, & more on new
> and used cars.
>

> Tyler Rademacher
> tyler_rademacher2@xxxxxxxxx
> I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a
> radio. (Rodney Dangerfield)
>
> ________________________________
> Yahoo! Mail

http://www.theplayback.net The Playback - indie rock for people bored
with indie rock.

Fame is the scentless sunflower, with gaudy crown of gold;
But friendship is the breathing rose, with sweets in every fold.
No Time like the old Time
Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809?1894)

Have a wonderful day!

Evelyn Sitterson