[cad-linux] Re: Status of BRL-CAD development (was Re: test)

  • From: Christopher Sean Morrison <brlcad@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:59:02 -0400

I'm glad it's still growing and in development too... ;-)  Aside from having
survived more than two decades of development already, I don't think we'll be
stopping development anytime soon especially given our renewed momentum and
developer investments.  You wouldn't know that we actually have more manpower
effort invested that any other open source modeling system (even more than
content modelers like Blender).

Generating drawings is indeed another often-requested feature and one we
already support albeit in a limited fashion.  There is a 2D 'sketch' primitive
that can represent just about all of the geometric entities you'd find in a dxf
file, for example.  At the moment, though, editing them directly is impractical
and pretty much all you can do with them as geometry is extrude or revolve them.

We also already have support for generating detailed hidden-line drawings like
one would expect for blue print style uses, but what we lack is dimensioning
information.  You can see an example of what I mean in our gallery here [1].

 [1] http://brlcad.org/gallery/s/renderings/havoc_rtedge.png.html

The next steps I'm hoping we'll take in this area are to implement dimension
reporting during rasterization.  Then as support for parametric constraints
comes to completion, support 2D annotations on all primitives (which could hold
dynamic dimensioning information).

Cheers!
Sean