[cad-linux] Re: Status of BRL-CAD development (was Re: test)

  • From: phrostie <pfrostie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 11:53:51 -0700 (PDT)

BRL was probably the first(late 90s) cad app i tried on Linux.
it was where i first learned about solids, i'm glad it's still growing and in
development.  a more refined GUI wouldn't hurt, but what i always wanted to see
was a 2D module for detailing drawings.

i know in the past this wasn't the the priority for BRL because it was a
simulation tool, but i really think you would attract a wider user base if this
could be explored.

just my .01999 USD

--- Christopher Sean Morrison <> wrote:

> Things have been pretty busy with the BRL-CAD project with lots of
> interesting parallel development efforts in progress.  I've not had
> the time to send out our usual updates and announcements to the cad-
> linux mailing lists of late simply because we've been busy working to
> make things better.  For those wondering what we're working on,
> though, our main development priorities are predominantly focused in
> four main areas which you can read about at http://brlcad.org/BRL-
> CAD_Priorities.png (727KB PNG).  That should give folks a good idea
> for what our roadmap and priorities look like for the next couple years.
>
> A couple new developers have joined the team recently and are quickly
> getting up to speed with the codebase.  You can see one of the latest
> offerings from them on our website ( http://brlcad.org ) that came
> out of one individual's *training* nonetheless, where the developer
> made a really nice automatic and accurate implicit tire generation
> tool.  We've also been making great progress on our BREP/NURBS
> implementation along with major effort going into refactoring our
> sources for a new editor interface.
>
> Also noteworthy, we're just finishing up our run in the 2008 Google
> Summer of Code.  It was an outstanding summer where we had four
> students working hard on various projects for BRL-CAD.  I intend to
> send out more details about how that went later but  some highlights
> of that effort are that we now have a new modeler interface under
> development, several new primitives implemented, and the beginnings
> of comprehensive parametric equation support for constraints.  Since
> the program was so successful, this is something we'll likely
> continue to participate in as a source for new features and (more
> importantly) new developer talent.
>
> Lots of folks (and I do mean lots) have made it very clear that they
> want a better graphical user interface for BRL-CAD.  We've known this
> for years and are working on making things drastically different and
> much better.  We're a very large solid modeling package, though, with
> a *lot* of functionality that the new interface needs to support.  We
> of course will do things incrementally, but there is still a whole
> lot of ground work required.  We're also in production use, so we're
> very careful about testing everything to make sure our
> representations are accurate, robust, and high-performance.  It's
> going to take a while to do things right.
>
> Cheers!
> Sean
>
> p.s. The BRL-CAD_Priorities image is a work-in-progress and likely
> will change, but the content is still pretty solid (no pun
> intended).  If you'd like to help out, whether you are a developer or
> not, please do get in touch.
>

> On Sep 13, 2008, at 4:55 AM, Patrick McLaughlin wrote:
>
> > I'm still interested,  but not as a coder - primarily want to know
> > what is
> [...]

phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS