Broad Oak PS & ELC Mailing Newsletter No 30.doc

  • From: Lynne Atkinson <office@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <broadoak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 14:38:34 +0100

Newsletter No: 30
Date: 11th May 2010.

Praise Assembly

Mrs Hughes took Praise Assembly last Friday. Well done to all those who sat on
the Praise Assembly bench. They were:
Reception

Team Point Winners
Last week's winners - Beech

Winners of the Broad Oak Governors'

Dinner Time Trophy

Last week's winners - Year 5

Holly

Year 1

Leah

Year 2

Calum

Year 3

Daanyaal and Ashley

Year 4

Jack O

Year 5

Kirsten

Year 6

Jordan

Reminder - Hothersall Lodge (14th-18th June 2010)

Parents /carers of Year 6 children going to Hothersall Lodge are reminded that
the final payment of £84 is due on or before Tuesday, 18th May. All outstanding
monies must be paid by this date. Also, if you have not already done so, please
return the Consent and Medical Information form to the school office as soon as
possible.

School Lunch - Week 1 Beginning 17th May 2010
Please ensure that dinner money is paid on Friday if you want dinners next
week.  Only £9.50 per week, £1.90 a day. Money should be given, via your child,
to their teacher in an envelope marked 'Dinner Money' with their name, class
and amount.
Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Cheese & Egg Flan, mashed potatoes, baked beans or Pasta in Creamy Tomato &
Mascarpone Sauce, garlic bread.

Chicken Korma, mixed rice, sweetcorn, naan bread or Italian Pasta Bake, crusty
baguette.

Welsh Meatballs in onion gravy, mashed potatoes, baton carrots or Homemade
Lasagne, dough balls.

Roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, gravy, roast potatoes, seasonal veg. or Chicken
& Vegetable Paella, garlic bread.

Lightly Battered Fish, low fat chips or new potatoes, garden peas or Macaroni
Cheese, crusty baguette.

Chocolate & Orange Cookie

Tuity Fruity Flapjack.

Fruit jelly & ice cream.

Baked jam sponge & custard.

Cup cakes.

Usually available daily (subject to availability) stuffed jacket potatoes,
selection of sandwiches, salad, fresh or frozen yoghurt, fresh fruit, milk or
fruit drinks, homemade cakes and cookies.  Vegetarian/Religious diets also
available subject to demand

Website up-dates

Have you had a look at our up-dated website??

There is the 'Class Stories' section which gives details and photographs of the
latest things that each of our classes have been up to.

Also look at the 'Head's Blog' section. This is my photo diary of things
happening in school on a day-to-day and week-by-week basis. On the front page
of the website, in my 'Message from the Head' section, I always tell you what's
new on the web - so log on and have a look!!

Building Work

If you remember, on Newsletter 21, I told you about the proposed building work
being carried out this year. Schools are given a 'pot' of money which can only
be spent on computer hardware and buildings. It is called DFC (Devolved Formula
Capital) money and is 'ring-fenced' so that we cannot spend it on anything
else, i.e. books, extra teaching assistant hours etc.

So far we have had the library refurbished, with new lighting, new doors and a
new carpet - and, of course, we have also had the Trim Trail installed. (We're
just waiting for the rubber flooring to arrive.)

Our next project is to have a drainage system installed into the school field.
This work will hopefully start a week next Monday (24th May) and will take
about 3 weeks to complete.

The unfortunate news is that we then cannot use the field for about 6 months,
whilst everything settles and the grass re-grows. This will mean that the
children will not be able to play on the field for the summer months and I'm
afraid that there will be no Sports Day this year. I know this is a shame -
but, looking ahead, the long term picture means that the field will be
available for use all year round!!

Whilst the drainage work is taking place, much of the bottom car park will be
out of use. Please therefore make sure that you don't park in the top staff car
park to pick up or drop off children, as it will be full of staff cars. I know
that I keep asking for this - but one or two parents / carers still seem to use
the staff car park instead of parking on Pope Lane.

Yours sincerely

Mr S B Smith

Headteacher

Did you know...

You may think that managing 90% attendance is a good thing!! However, if your
child does only attend school 90% of the time, this is still well below the
National requirements - and 90% attendance actually means missing one half of a
school day every week!!

FRIENDS OF BROAD OAK PRIMARY SCHOOL - Registered Charity No. 1082746

JAMIE OLIVER PARTY

A big THANK YOU to the parents and friends of Broad Oak who attended the Jamie
Oliver Party last Friday. Although I couldn't make it myself, I was told that
it was a super evening. Well done and thank you to Gemma Baron who organised
and ran the event - earning some well needed money for our school funds.

DISCO - FRIDAY 21ST MAY 2010.
It's disco time again and, as before, tickets will be sold on the door priced
at £2 each. Refreshments will be available.
TIMES: INFANTS 6.30 - 7.30           JUNIORS 7.30 - 8.45
Children MUST be collected by a responsible adult at the end of the disco and
we must ask that the attached form be completed if your contact telephone
number has changed recently or an alternative is to be used on the evening.

FRIENDS OF BROAD OAK PRIMARY SCHOOL - REGISTERED CHARITY NO. 1082746
DISCO FRIDAY 21ST MAY 2010

This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail
or take any action in reliance on its content.