[BNU] Re: notetakers and Eloquence speech

  • From: rajmund <brajmund2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Shawn Abraham <shawnabraham21@xxxxxxxxx>, brajmund2000@xxxxxxxxx, pann1@xxxxxxxxxxx, justforlistmessages531@xxxxxxxxx, deathdogg@xxxxxxxxx, braillenote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 00:01:33 +0100

What? If your parents are smoking then eloquence is their dream. I'm not trying to be funny or irritating here but still. If your mother smokes 1 pocket of cigarettes per day she'll love eloquence.

From: rajmund <brajmund2000@xxxxxxxxx
To: Shawn Abraham <shawnabraham21@xxxxxxxxx>,
brajmund2000@xxxxxxxxx, pann1@xxxxxxxxxxx,
justforlistmessages531@xxxxxxxxx, deathdogg@xxxxxxxxx,
braillenote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 20:05:43 +0000

I gave eloquence up.  I don't know how you people get it.
From: rajmund <brajmund2000@xxxxxxxxx
To: "Terri Pannett" <pann1@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
shawnabraham21@xxxxxxxxx, brajmund2000@xxxxxxxxx,
justforlistmessages531@xxxxxxxxx, deathdogg@xxxxxxxxx,
braillenote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 18:53:19 +0100

we have swapped.  I can't understand eloquence.  Tried it on 11
and 14 or 13 but can't do it.

From: rajmund <brajmund2000@xxxxxxxxx
To: justforlistmessages531@xxxxxxxxx, deathdogg@xxxxxxxxx,
braillenote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 22:57:41 +0100

Try pitch 10 and rate 13.  Love it more.  This is all good.  But
between the letters and eloquence there is about a day long bug.
When I type a for example by the time eloquence says a I can
write "I had a good day) When I do the dot it will say
(agoodday.) it will say it as fast as it can.  If you like the
sound of the car you can make it sound like a car.  Take
eloquence down as slow as possible and type a but a lots of
times.  Then read it back.  You need to change the language to
french first.  The other thing is that I have my keyboard voice
on both words and spell so that I don't make mistakes.  Which
means it has to be fast because I type fast.  When I use
eloquence its like my apex needs to be sent in because its
broken.

From: Ricardo Herrera <deathdogg@xxxxxxxxx
To:
b.lingard@xxxxxxxxxxxx,braillenote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,pann1@xxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 09:12:45 -0800

Here are some comments on eloquence.  Now, everyone has their
personal preference, but here is something I just don't get.
When I had my apex, I never, ever had problems with eloquence.
It
ran smoothly, and the speed of my device was not compromised by
running this speech engine.  I'm bringing that up because that is
one reason why some don't like eloquence on the apex.  Everyone
that I know personally runs eloquence, and I haven't heard of
problems because of it, except on this list.  Now on to my other
point, how can people stand that robbotic voice? Kng I mean? When
I had an mpower for a really short amount of time, that was the
voice that it had on it.  Now back then, I was new to the braille
note, and didn't know how to change it to eloquence, but the
moment I heard kng, I hated it.  It sounded like a robot, not
human at all.  It was almost like going back to freedom
scientific
and their lame voices, that at the time sounded great.  Actually,
I think their voice on the really old notetakers such as the
braille light were much better than kng.  Anyway, then I got the
apex, and I was happy it had eloq
uence.  Eloquence doesn't sound like a robot.  The adult male
variant of eloquence, which is what most people know, sounds
well, perfect.  You can't hear cracking in the voice, unlike some
other voices.  That and all the voice over voice on iOS and some
of the best out there, which is why I got the eloquence voice for
nvda.  Now espeak sounds like a robot too.
The thing I find with having robotic voices is that when you're
in a public setting and someone happens to hear it, they'll
automatically know and mark you as the blind person with a robot
doing your work.  However, with a more human sounding voice,
which
seems to be the trend nowadays, people are less likely to think
of you as such.  They'll just think of it as a pda, not a robot
doing your tasks.  And yes, computers are technically, but
really,
when was the last time you thought of computers as such? (you in
second person)
All that I have outlined above is all subjective, and as I said,
it is a matter of personal preference.  I'd be very interested to
know why people hate eloquence so much and get some additional
feedback.  It really is one of the best synthesizers out there in
my opinion, and I hope that development continues, although there
really isn't much else to do to it except fix problems with
pronunciation in other languages.  Ok, now, feedback!