[brailleblaster] Re: Preparing for the next release

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 12:48:14 +0100

I would possibly say that in final things that is really expected to be used by
users, installation should be as simple as possible. Therefore I feel it should
be a single download the user would need to do.

There are probably sufficient platform specific parts that it would not be
reasonable (if possible) to include binaries for all platforms. Therefore there
are likely to be platform specific downloads. However to have a common download
plus a platform specific download is more downloads for the user than can be
achieved. It probably is best for compiled versions to simply have "ready to
run" downloads for each platform. This is normally what is done. Normally there
is also a source distribution, which should not contain dependencies but this
should not be a problem as anyone building from source is probably a more
advanced user or at least is reading documents.

I know sometimes it may feel a waste of space to duplicate the common code in
each platform specific download, however consider how large actually is the
common code in this case? Is that bit of duplication and slight inefficiency
worth the benefit of user experience? I feel it is.

Michael Whapples