[brailleblaster] Re: Moving liblouis from Subversion to Mercurial

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 11:23:34 +0100

Hello,
Firstly yes I am still around, mainly not been making responses as normally others have got there before me and as I have been busy it didn't seem a good use of my time to repeat what others said.

Regarding what others have said about history, I agree it should be kept (particularly as it can be done without too much difficulty).

Regarding the change to another project page, I am against that, let's try and get the liblouis one sorted first, changing things may only cause confusion. Also remember that googlecode I think limits how many projects you can have, so creating a new project will add to the number you have. Obviously if the issues you have cannot be resolved on the liblouis page then may be a change might be worth considering, but let's deal with that if it arises.

Michael Whapples
On 06/09/11 23:11, John J. Boyer wrote:
Michael,

I've been wondering why you were so quiet.

I think the best way to create a Mercurial repository for liblouis would
be to set up a new googlecode page with a slightly different name, say
hgliblouis The recent googlecods pages have features that the old ones
don't. After the repository was set up, I could get a clone of the empty
repository. I have already created a directory of the liblouis project,
minus the svn hidden directories. After doing the clone I would just add
this directory, comit and push. We would lose history, of course, but I
won't wory about that unless people convince me that it will make a
difference. Of course, we would then have to link the new page to the
old one in some way.

John

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 10:38:51PM +0100, Michael Whapples wrote:
Personally I would be for that change to mercurial. For your interest,
there are tools which can create mercurial repositories from an SVN
repository so you do not loose history in the move. Refer to the
mercurial website for details on some of them. If you want I could
probably do this for you.

Michael Whapples
On 06/09/11 17:47, John J. Boyer wrote:
Right now I can't commit to the liblouis svn repository. The reason is
stillunder investigation. Both liblouisutdml and BrailleBlaster are on
Mercurial repositories. I have come to like Mercurial better than
Subversion. The move would not be difficult, and the commands are quite
similar. Getting a working copy is simpler, using the clone command.

What do you think?