[brailleblaster] Re: Importing Files

  • From: Chris von See <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 19:15:36 -0700

John G,

It's true that *most* of what EPUB 3 contains relates to HTML 5, but not all. For example, EPUB 3 now allows SVG documents in the OPF spine (making them part of the reading order), there are new elements for conditional content inclusion, there's CSS for defining list and content styles, and there are a whole slew of new bits and pieces - like scripting, TTS support, embedded fonts and the like - that need to be at least recognized and discarded. I'm not sure that these are "problems", but they need to be at least reviewed... A full list of the differences between EPUB 2 and EPUB 3 can be found at http://idpf.org/epub/30/spec/epub30-changes.html

Cheers
Chris

On Jun 6, 2011, at 6:04 PM, John Gardner wrote:

Chris, I understand the new DAISY format, at least to some extent. We must certainly be able to import EPUB 3 into BrailleBlaster. That's not a big problem, since it is, after all, HTML. But HTML5 does include MathML and
SVG, which we already intend to use.  No problem there I trust.

It is not quite so clear that we should also import DAISY 4. However if
DAISY 4 will be used to author DAISY with braille information, then we
should support it. It is my understanding that it will be used for that
purpose, but I not 100% certain I am right.

John G