[brailleblaster] Re: Importing Files

  • From: Chris von See <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 07:58:01 -0700

The TechAdapt Accessible Media Center (TAMC) is a free product I built back in 2006, when the NIMAS standard was first being rolled out. It is used by many state and local education agencies in the US to convert NIMAS and DAISY file sets into DAISY, HTML and RTF files. Most clients use it to convert Bookshare DAISY files and NIMAS files from the NIMAC into HTML and RTF - the HTML has features to facilitate use of the material by students who are blind or low vision, and the RTF files are used by braille transcribers to import content into DBT, Braille 2000 or other braille translation programs. Aside from ongoing maintenance TAMC has not been actively developed because I've been occupied with other parts of our business that make money :) but I've recently performed a complete rewrite of the application and am planning to actively develop new conversions from more source and target formats. In addition to the complete rewrite, the new version is completely accessible and adds support for Microsoft Word input files; future versions will add support for audio output, braille output, and other features. You can find more info about TAMC at http://www.accessiblemediacenter.com

A NIMAS file set is essentially the same thing as a text-only DAISY file set. It has the same XML and almost the same OPF but it does not contain SMIL or NCX files.

Cheers
Chris

On Jun 6, 2011, at 10:13 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:

A couple of questions. What is TAMC? How does NiMAS differ from DAISY?
I've never seen a NIMAS file. they seem to be under wraps for only
students.

You are lucky to have survived the combinatorial explosion of trying to convert various file formats to various others. Converting them first to
a canonical form makes a lot more sense.

Thanks,
John

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 09:25:30PM -0700, Chris von See wrote:
Yes, I'm very familiar with XSLT, XPath and related XML technologies.
I co-authored a book on XSLT with a friend of mine back in 2002, and
have been working with XML in various ways ever since.

For what it's worth: The early versions of TAMC converted DAISY and
NIMAS into various other formats without converting first to a
canonical format, and it was admittedly kind of a mess.  The new file
import libraries I've written as part of the foundation for the new
version of TAMC convert to a canonical format first and then performs
all operations on that standardized model - much, much cleaner.

Cheers
Chris

On Jun 6, 2011, at 8:39 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:

I have considered leaving all Daisy and html files as is and using
semantic-action files as liblouisutdml does. However, i think this
would
be inadequate for what BrailleBlaster is to do. liblouisutdml doesn['t
manipulate the files, except for adding utdml when requested.
BrailleBlaster will have the capability to manipulate files. The
semantic-action-file approach is probably inadequate. Manipulation
will
be much easier if all files are converted to a common format. This is
probably not hard to do, if we have someone who really knows xslt. I
wouldn't be surprised if Chris does. The flavor of the xml or html
document can be detected while it is being read in as soon as xom gets
the root element. The flavor can also be specified by other means if
the
root element is ambiguous.

John B.

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 06:49:11PM -0700, John Gardner wrote:
I agree, but should we convert them all to a common format?  My
understanding of UTDML is that it is not necessary.  If so then
maybe we
should just leave all DAISY flavors as is.  The idea of UTDML is
that the
DAISY file is still there but with lots of other content included.
In fact,
maybe we should leave all standard HTML and XML imports "as is".
John B, is
this a stupid idea?

John G

John G