[bookshare-discuss] Re: question on proofreading

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:01:53 -0800

Hi, if you wish to be a proofreader, you must fill out a form in the
volunteer section of the web site. Once it is filled out, you will be signed
up. You'll get an email informing you that a part of Bookshare called
Volunteer Home will appear on your taskbar below your name. If you proofread
a book, you should ask for somebody to help you out. That's a great idea
when you start out. Also, you should sign up to be a member of the Bookshare
Volunteers Discussion List so you can know about what's being scanned, ask
your questions about anything that's giving you problems. You will gradually
get to know people which is a good thing. When it comes to proofreading,
nobody is going to tell you what to proofread. It's your decision if you
wish to proofread textbooks, genre fiction, non-fiction. What you'll be
doing is look at the scanned text using your screen reader if you are using
one, and if you have a Braille display or something of that nature, that
will help you proofread. People have a variety of ways to proofread a book.
Some use Kurzweil 1000 to read the file, others use Microsoft Word to do so.
If you wish to be a proofreader, you should find out if the copyright
information and ISBN numbers are in the book. Also, I think you should read
the file, every word of it to see if what you are reading is what is
supposed to be there. The reason why I think you should do this is because
you want to make sure to delete scanning errors that might not have been
caught by the submitter of the book. Also, it's a good idea to email the
submitter of the book to check if an unfamiliar word you hear or read is
supposed to be there. After you've read your book, then you can spell check
the whole kit and caboodle. I know this sounds daunting, but everybody,
submitters or proofreaders feel scared when first starting out. You aren't
alone. If you do your job right, you'll get a rush when that book you
finished working on is in the Bookshare collection. Regards, Kim Friedman.
P.S.: I hope this message didn't scare you off. K.