[bookshare-discuss] Re: question on proofreading

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 19:44:43 EST

Doing something wrong would not be disastrous. Bookshare retains the
original RTF file and if you mess it up beyond hope that file can be placed
back
on the checkout list and you will have only wasted your time. In fact, it
would not be a complete waste of time either because, undoubtedly, you will
have learned from the mistakes. If you mess up only a little bit and you have
improved the copy but  there is still work to do on it then your corrected
version will be returned to the checkout list with instructions on how to make
the corrections you need to make and it will have a hold on it so that you
will have the first chance at it. Also, a first time proofer should look for
a children's book or something short and well-scanned so that the job will
go quickly and you will get the feel of prooffing and the gratification of
accomplishment at the same time. There are some experienced and very good
submitters on the volunteer list and if you explain your situation there one of
them might very well prepare a scan especially for you, as a beginner, to
work on. Take note that the volunteer manual has been growing recently and it
may look a good deal more daunting than it has to. To start, read the
basics and then the sections that pertain specifically to the software you are
using.

                          "I have no country to fight for; my country is
the earth, and I am a citizen of the world." Eugene V. Debs

http://www.pathfinderpress.com
Granma International: http://www.granma.cu/ingles/index.html
                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bookshare-discuss] Re: question on proofreading
Date:
11/20/2009 7:13:34 PM Eastern Standard Time
From:
yohandy85@xxxxxxxxx
To:
bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

wow. Thanks for all the info guys. this does feel like a daunting task for
sure *smile*. I'm just hesitant to start in case I do something wrong.
proofreading
books isn't something I want to take lightly since other members will be
reading these books. I will consider everything you guys mentioned and will
check
out the manual.----- Original Message ----- From: "Judy s." <
cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent: Friday,
November 20,
2009 12:09 PMSubject: [bookshare-discuss] Re: question on proofreading>
Yohandy, go for it!  I've been proofreading for two years now. It's a > great
feeling
every time a new book I've proofread gets added to the > collection.>> The
first thing to do is sign up to be a volunteer.>> Then you need to join the
volunteer discussion list, which is the place > where other volunteers will
help you out with any questions you have. I > think bookshare automatically
adds you to the list when you volunteer, but > if they don't, you sign up
by> sending a blank Email to> bks-vol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Put the
word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the Subject line>> Then you need to read
the volunteer manual, which can be incredibly > intimidating even though
proofreading
really isn't! So don't let it scare > you because it isn't really hard, or
tough to do.>> The only books you can proofread are ones that other
volunteers
have > scanned and have submitted.  There is a checkout list, and right now
there > are about 250 books to choose from on it.  Books get added every
day,
and > the list seems to stay steady at about 250-300 books ready for >
proofreading.  However, if there are books you'd like to see in the > collection
and are willing to proofread, you can ask other volunteers who > scan,
through the discussion list, if they'd team up with you and do those >
together.

In those cases, if they can't find the book in their locally > library,
you'd usually buy it and send it to them to scan I do this all > the time
myself,
and buy used books as cheaply as possible through the > internet to do so.>>
 You have two weeks to proofread a book, but if that isn't enough time you
> can renew it as many times as you need.>> Here's the bookshare overview
page on volunteering:> http://www.bookshare.org/about/volunteerOverview>>
Here's
the link to the page where you sign up to volunteer. Before using > this
link, make sure you are signed in as a member first: >
http://www.bookshare.org/volunteerSignup>>
And here's the volunteer manual - but again, don't let it scare you. >
There's lots of other volunteers out ere who will help you out with any >
questions.
smile.>>
https://wiki.benetech.org/display/BSO/Scanning+and+Proofreading+Manual>> Judy
s.>> Yohandy wrote:>>    Hello,>> I'm a bookshare member, and
I'd
like to become a proofreading volunteer >> as well. How do I go about doing
this? Also what is required of someone >> when they proofread books? I'll
obviously
be new to this, and I don't >> want to make any mistakes or mess things up.
are there specific books we >> must proofread, or can we choose from a
list?
how about submission >> deadlines? I read quite a         lot and I really
want to help out the >> community. thanks for any help!>>>>>>>> Check out
this
awesome file sharing service. Please use my referral link >> if you plan to
sign up.>> http://www.storage.to/affiliate/JxBfDEsV>>>>>> To unsubscribe
from
this list, send a blank Email to >> bookshare-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  Put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the Subject line.  To get a list
>> of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject
line.>>>>> To unsubscribe from this list, send a blank Email to >