[bookport] Re: Request for a new feature in the Book Port.

  • From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:16:13 -0400

Sorry I didn't respond sooner; I actually thought this went to the
list, and since the topic has been discussed here at length, I hoped
that someone would summarize.

In short, you can just copy unprotected mp3 files to a card as you
describe.  The problem comes in when you work with protected content
such as that from audible.com or rfbd.  In those cases, the Book Port's
serial number is required in order to encrypt the content.

The battery drain is so minimal that a half hour transfer would not
even really be noticed on a set a batteries.

>>> hardy_graham@xxxxxxxxx Thursday, June 09, 2005 10:12:08 PM >>>
Hello,

I am a new member to this list.  I have for some time now been trying
send this to Larry, though he never responded, which is, of course,
very
unprofessional of him.  However, I suppose that there may be other APH
staff
on this list who may be more receptive.
I recently acquired the Book Port, and like it very much in all
respects but
the following.  When I send a large audio book to the Book Port, I
find
that it is very hard on the batteries, because it means that the device
can
be connected to the computer with an active serial connexion for
sometimes
a half-hour or longer.  I do have another CompactFlash reader, and so,
suspect, do many other people who use the Book Port.  I think that it
would
be
nice if the transfer software could transfer a book to a device other
than
the Book Port.  This would mean that, in stead of the files' being sent
the
Book Port, the user would place the CF card into a conventional memory
card
reader, and the software would treat the contents of the card as if
they
were
on the Book Port.  In this way, a user would not have to waste so much
battery power.  Isn't this basically what the software already does?  I
am
curious
to hear your comments.

    Regards,