[bookport] Re: Request for a new feature in the Book Port.

  • From: "ROB MEREDITH" <rmeredith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:11:01 -0400

Graham:

I wouldn't count on this feature being implemented for various reasons.
This has come up before. In short, some files are encrypted, and this
scheme would not work with a card reader.

Rob Meredith

>>> hardy_graham@xxxxxxxxx 06/09/05 10:12PM >>>
Hello,

I am a new member to this list.  I have for some time now been trying
send this to Larry, though he never responded, which is, of course,
very
unprofessional of him.  However, I suppose that there may be other APH
staff
on this list who may be more receptive.
I recently acquired the Book Port, and like it very much in all
respects but
the following.  When I send a large audio book to the Book Port, I
find
that it is very hard on the batteries, because it means that the device
can
be connected to the computer with an active serial connexion for
sometimes
a half-hour or longer.  I do have another CompactFlash reader, and so,
suspect, do many other people who use the Book Port.  I think that it
would
be
nice if the transfer software could transfer a book to a device other
than
the Book Port.  This would mean that, in stead of the files' being sent
the
Book Port, the user would place the CF card into a conventional memory
card
reader, and the software would treat the contents of the card as if
they
were
on the Book Port.  In this way, a user would not have to waste so much
battery power.  Isn't this basically what the software already does?  I
am
curious
to hear your comments.

    Regards,