[bookport] Re: New Features

  • From: Peter Rand <peter.rand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 10:03:03 +0200

LARRY SKUTCHAN wrote:

>Now that we have version 1.5.1 out, we don't have anything left to do
>(grin.)  Seriously, what do you all see as the most important of the next
>revisions of the firmware and software.

Well, as a potential buyer [see below], rather than as a current user, I
would be interested in the following:

Software features:
1) more refinement in Spydering capabilities (ability to exclude
unwanted links)
2) protection against unintentional activation of the record Memo function
3) ability to transfer files to and from the CF card without special
software
4) OGG support
5) foreign-language support
6) some kind of pronunciation editor (I'm a beginner at text-to-speech,
and sometimes tts
     is quite difficult for me to understand).

Hardware features (just daydreaming here):
1) physically smaller unit
2) SD card support
3) iPod-like 40GB harddrive (but this would probably kill the battery life)
4) small built-in speaker
4) external microphone input for better-quality recordings

Peter

   Note: I know that Book Port is geared towards "blind students and
professionals", but
   as a (sighted) inveterate reader/news junkie, I like Book Port's
capabilities to easily
   download web content that I can listen to during the commute to work.
It's a pretty
    neat machine, and has functions that set it apart from Palms and
Pocket PC's. Its
    accessibility also means I could use it to listen to ebooks at night
for those times when I can't sleep.