[bookport] Re: Flash capacity

  • From: "PAMELA RADER" <PRADER@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:56:33 -0400

Actually, I don't know who started that, but both Rob and I have been
telling people that 8 gig cards may or may not work, since their
structuring is a little different.  We certainly don't support their
use, as we have not tested them.  However, I do agree with Bruce on one
point:  As Compact Flash is phasing out, it isn't likely that we're
going to be doing any testing on them, since this would require changes
in the firmware to fix any problems therein.  Mainly, I just want to
clarify that we aren't stating any claim they will work.

Pamela Rader, TECHNICAL SUPPORT
American Printing House For The Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY  40206

PHONE:  1-800-223-1839, Ext. 307

>>> DogRiver@xxxxxxxx 04/13/07 01:18AM >>>
APH believes that eight-gig cards will work, but that hasn't been
conclusively proven. As CF cards are on their way out, they are not
likely
to get much larger than they currently are.

Bruce

--
Bruce Toews
Skype ID: o.canada

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, David Tanner wrote:

> Hi Robert and all,
>
> On the current Book Port the largest CF card that can be used is 4
gigabyte cards.  Hopefully, as the cards get larger APH will find it
possible to raise that limit.  In fact, we can buy 8 gigabyte Kingston
CF cards on state contract now for $130.  Just imagine how nice that
would be to have an 8 gigabyte CF card that could handle a large number
of audio books, music, notes, etc.

Thanks.
> :
> : *---*  *---*  *---*  *---*  *---*
> : The professor discovered that her theory of earthquakes was on
shaky ground.
> : Robert & Dreamer Doll (Guide Dawggie)
> : Newport, Oregon
> : N24C 3G 8/2000 Hookup
> : rclark0276@xxxxxxxxxxx
> : http://webpages.charter.net/dog_guide/
> :
> :
> :
> :
> : --
> : No virus found in this incoming message.
> : Checked by AVG Free Edition.
4/6/2007 9:30 PM