[bookport] Re: Audible vs. NLS

  • From: "Christy Porter" <cporter001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 12:34:56 -0500

Ah, but what is the source for Overdrive's library?  In all likelihood, it's
using books commercially produced for distribution to the public as audio
cd's, but like Audible, Recorded Books (available through some local
libraries through the NetLibrary Service), Audiobookstand, etc.  Again, the
authors have had the choice to weigh the risks of audio formats verses the
money to be made and have accepted those risks.  They get paid for accepting
that risk.  But authors whose works are turned into digital audio by the NLS
have the risk without the benefit of the money.  They don't get paid in any
way to make the risk more acceptable.

--Christy
http://caution-blind-driver.blogspot.com/

On
> Behalf Of lana
> Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2007 11:33 AM
> To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [bookport] Re: Audible vs. NLS
>
> Actually, it seems not to make a difference.  Many of overdrive's titles
are
> burnable, and you can only keep those on your computer two weeks.

CD's
> > of the books along to their friends.  Remember, you buy the books from
> > them, though.  NLS is a library.  I don't know what difference that
makes,
> > exactly.  It possibly does.
> >

> > At 04:13 PM 9/28/2007 -0500, you wrote:
> >>Can anyone explain why and / or how Audible has managed to successfully
> >>make audio-formatted books securely available securely to blind-users,
> >>but that NLS has not been able?
> >
> > Sandy Licht
> > Jeremiah 29:11 - 14.
> > For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to
prosper
> > you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you
> > will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You
> > will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be
> > found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from
captivity.

> > http://www.eset.com

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9/29/2007 1:32