[bookcourier] Re: Simulating DoubleTalk without a BookCourier

  • From: Tim Grady <tgrady@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookcourier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 16:10:22 -0400

There is the open source project DAISY Pipeline project that you can get info on sourceforge.net but personally all I would like is a small app that would turn a text file into daisy book and do the tts.

On May 1, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Campbell, Wiley L. (Portland) wrote:

I know it's a work around, but I vaguely recall hearing about methods to convert txt files to audio using a screen reader, or some other text to
audio utility?  E. G. I can adjust my JAWS voice to certainly read as
well or better than DoubleTalk, and I could record JAWS reading a text
file to an audio format like mp3; Then load that on a Stream or PlexTalk
and at least have good speech quality for text file reading without
relying on the built in TTS.

Is there some simpler utility  / method that accomplishes the same
result? Especially a method that can handle large text files like books?
And perhaps even convert text files to one of the DAISY audio formats
that a Stream or PlexTalk could use, rather than just trying to create
huge mp3 files.