[bookcourier] Re: Reformat

  • From: "Graham Lewis" <Graham.Lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookcourier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 09:40:19 +0000

By using multiple cards I guess you mean swap cards in the esisting system =
rather than a new system with multiple card slots.

Not a bad suggestion actually as looking at the proces, the cost per Mb =
scales pretty linearly; ie it costs roughly the same to buy two 1 Gb cards =
as it does to buy one 2 Gb cards.  Of course if I have two cards I will =
almost certainly lose one.

Graham Lewis
Centre for Academic Practice
University of Warwick
University House
Kirby Corner Road
Coventry CV4 8UW
UK
=20
Tel.: (+44) (0) 24 765 72737
Mobile: 07733450022
Fax.: (+44) (0) 24 765 727326

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/cap/about/staff/lewis/
http://innovations.warwick.ac.uk/innovations/
http://cap.warwick.ac.uk/tdf

>>> katie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 03/08/05 09:55pm >>>
Hi Graham,

We considered a hard drive version of BookCourier, but it's not feasible=20=

because of power consumption restrictions. You can't run a hard drive =
using=20
AA batteries. However, we are currently working on support for 4GB =
flash=20
cards. After that, we'll turn our attention to 8GB cards. Of course =
another=20
option is to use multiple cards.

Katie

At 02:38 AM 3/8/2005, you wrote:
>Thanks Sandra.
>
>Can I ask the developers if tghere are any concrete plans yet for a new =
=3D
>version of the bookcourier?  The capacity of mainstream mp3 players is =
=3D
>making even the 2Gb card option on bookcourier look small.  For text =
files =3D
>which I primarily use it for,  even 128 megabytes that it comes with is =
=3D
>enough but for audio files I am seriously thinking about a separate mp3 =
=3D
>player.  Are the developers thinking on hard drive versions of bookcourier=
?=3D
>  =3D20
>
>A bit blue skies I know but I just wondered.
>
>Graham Lewis
>Centre for Academic Practice
>University of Warwick
>University House
>Kirby Corner Road
>Coventry CV4 8UW
>UK
>=3D20
>Tel.: (+44) (0) 24 765 72737
>Mobile: 07733450022
>Fax.: (+44) (0) 24 765 727326
>
>http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/cap/about/staff/lewis/=20
>http://innovations.warwick.ac.uk/innovations/=20
>http://cap.warwick.ac.uk/tdf=20

>Graham, it's diamond plus eight for reformating the flash card.
>
>Cheers,
>Sandra.
>This message, and any attachments, have been checked by Mcafee virus =3D
>scan=3D20
>prior to sending.=3D20

Katie Walker
Springer Design, Inc.