[blindcooks] Re: josey baker bread again

  • From: "Jon Rawlings" <twosocks76@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 19:33:54 -0800

Cgharlene:
     I hope you find the book to be worth the purchase price.  But I am very
suspicious of books on how to bake bread as I feel many of them are dumbed down
a great deal.  Many of these books call for using all-purpose flour in most or
all of the recipes, which I find to be very suspect depending on what type of
bread is being made.  No matter what any book says, all-purpose and bread
flours are not interchangeable without making some modifications, and even
then, the resulting product is not quite the same.  Even bread flour is not the
same from brand to brand.  Again, it depends on what you want to make.  I have
no problem using a.p. flour for making cinnamon rolls or a  handful of other
yeast items, but on the whole, I prefer bread flour for things like pizza
crust, dinner rolls, baguettes, country French bread, and sandwich bread.  I
don't know whether this book you brought to our attention has any such recipes
I would like, so this is a general opinion and not specific to the book.
   Jon