[blindcooks] Re: josey baker bread again

  • From: "Jon Rawlings" <twosocks76@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 07:23:31 -0800

Charlene:
     First of all;  you're right - I should give the book you've found a chance
to prove itself to me.  My comments were brought about by my opinion of another
bread book I actually bought some years ago called "The Bread Bible" which I
found to be utterly worthless.  The fact that the recipes in your book are
calling for bread flour is very promising.  With "The Bread Bible" the author
does mention bread flour, but insists it can be switched out for all-purpose,
depending on what the baker has on hand or is comfortable with.  I honestly get
the impression that while many of these supposedly-professional bakers use all
different types of flours when making their own breads, they write books that
center around all-purpose flour only because they think that's what the public
wants.  The fact that person works in the industry in a professional capasity
is a good start, but is no guarantee their recipes are any good.  Having said
all that, I'm sorry I allowed my membership with Book Share to lapse.  I just
could not figure out what format to get my books or how to read the different
formats, so I just let it go.  The folks at Book Share were not at all helpful
with this issue either, so I gave up.  I do wish I could thumb through your
book and see for myself if it really is as good as you make it sound.  If it
is, then I hope you are eventually able to create amazing bread from its pages.
 The process of making a thin dough or batter and letting it develop in flavor
before making the rest of the recipe is called a pre-ferment.  I do it when
making French bread and baguettes, and it does indeed make for a wonderful
flavor.  A sourdough is, essentially, a pre-ferment that can be kept going for
many many years, though the fact that it develops different types of bacteria
that make it sour makes it much more complex and involved than a Poolish or a
biga.  Anyway, I look forward to reading about the attempts you will make
following the recipes in this book  you have found.  My ultimate goal in bread
baking is to create and maintain a first class sourdough starter that makes a
bread with a strong, sour flavor like the bread I once enjoyed at a ranch I
stayed at in my late teens.  I already know I want it to be a rye starter, but
I'm concerned about investing a lot of time and money into the project only to
come out with less than steller results.  I will do it one day though.
   Jon