[bksvol-discuss] Re: words split across pages

  • From: "Rik James" <d28rik@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 10:52:24 -0600

Thanks for mentioning this, E.

I think it really does make a big difference not to have the sentences
interrupted by the headers and page numbers.  I too have been adjusting to
see that the ends of  pages end in complete sentences. I figure if I have to
look for the hyphenated words at the end of pages, I may as well make the
page end with a complete sentence.   And as you say, this is ESPECIALLY
important when there are footnotes at the bottom of the page.  A reader can
really get lost when the text of the page gets interrupted by a bunch of
sentences in footnotes.

Although this is something we can do when validating, it would make me happy
as a clam if the person who scanned the book and submitted it took the time
and care to do this.

I am beginning to feel that scanning in batch mode creates a heck of a lot
more work down the road than just doing the scan a page at a time, or 2 at a
time in 2 page mode with most books. And to at least spot check each
paragraph of each page.  Then if the scan is bad, you can just delete the
page right then and there and do a re-scan.  Happy as a clam all over again.
Time for a clam bake.  Put on your Elvis Presley record, and pull out that
old 1960's Elvis movie Clambake, .  (smile)   But who the heck really knows
how happy a clam is anyway?  (That could be a topic for Andy Rooney, huh?

Rik